Hiring International Students

Attracting top MBA talent from over 70 countries around the world, Wharton’s program typically consists of over 30% international students. These students’ unique backgrounds, global experience, and diverse interests make them top candidates for leadership positions across all functions and industries.

Employers can reach international students through all of the on-campus and off-campus recruiting opportunities provided by MBA Career Management. In addition, MBA Career Management supports employers as they work with international students whom they plan to hire full-time after graduation in the U.S. or abroad. As a reminder, it is always free to post on the Wharton CareerPath Job Board.

Please view our Recruiting Calendar here.

International Student Clubs and Conferences

Within Wharton, more than 10 international clubs — including the Middle East/North Africa Club (MENA), Europa, Asia Club, India Club, and Latin American Student Association — provide support to students from specific cultural backgrounds. They run many events, from the international dance competition to the professional conferences on Africa, Asia, Europe, India, and Latin America.

Internship Hiring

Students with an F-1 status qualify for summer employment through Curricular Practical Training (CPT), while those students with a J-1 status qualify for Academic Training (AT). Work authorization is issued by Wharton, so hiring an international student for a summer internship requires no additional paperwork on the company side.

Full-Time Hiring

Following graduation, students with F-1 visas may begin work as full-time employees in the U.S. for up to 12 months through Optional Practical Training (OPT). Students with J-1 visas can work full-time for up to 18 months of Academic Training (AT). Both work options do not require any interaction with the U.S. government or cost to the employer.

Long-Term Hiring

Should you choose to convert these workers to long-term hires at your company, you will need to work with an immigration lawyer to begin the H-1B visa process. More info can be found in our Guide to Hiring International Students.